Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Truths and Warning Signs

"Never be bullied into silence. Never allow yourself to be made a victim. Accept no one's definition of your life; define yourself." - Harvey Fierstein

I hesitated for some time to even talk about this, much less write it and post it in cyber world. I’m rather disappointed in myself, really. Ultimately, I decided to go for it in the hopes that someone like me can benefit from it and also a plea for women with low self-esteem, who are naïve from lack of intuition because you were never taught these skills, perhaps you’ve experienced trauma or loss and there was no one there to comfort you, to take the time to reconnect with yourself. Find your footing, embrace who you are and trust your instincts above all else.

There are several forms of abuse; I will be discussing the form that comes in spoken word and manipulation. Vulnerability can be easily sensed. We become vulnerable from time to time due to things like loss, trauma, a broken heart, etc. Vulnerability makes us easy pickings for others seeking to take advantage of a person in an emotional, psychical, weakened state of mind.

"With each passage of human growth we must shed a protective structure. We are left exposed and vulnerable - but also yeasty and embryonic again, capable of stretching in ways we hadn't known before." - Gail Sheehy

Vulnerability is a strength as well. It shows we dare to experience life and ride the emotions. It's problematic when you've become so exposed and feel so voiceless that you've allowed others to dominate you.


I came to the realization last night while talking with a friend over dinner that every guy I’ve dated, spoken with, hung out with, or had any connection to whatsoever over this past year (my genuine friends excluded) – has really only been a Band-Aid – and they’ve been poor Band-Aids at that: the kind that leave the wound festering.

I need to learn to take life slower and grieve when I’m sad or mending a broken heart instead of trying to stuff it down and tough it out. This lack of self-care and personal awareness landed me in a relationship that was headed down a very dark path.

Not only was it dark, but it was lonely, too. When I finally quit denying what was happening I was too ashamed to tell anyone the truth.

It was nice in the beginning, but there were also some blatant warning signs that I never noticed until I gave myself some time to turn things over in my head. He seemed nice. He said he wanted to protect me. Warning Sign # 1: No one should talk about protecting you. It hints at ownership – and this is never a good thing.



He was consistently late. Very late. I once sat outside of a milonga waiting for him for 2 hours. He kept telling me that he was on his way and to wait. Warning Signs #2 and 3: Someone who is consistently late is blatantly stating their time is more important than yours and that you are on their clock. In other words: your world must revolve around this person’s schedule. Lies, even little ones that seem harmless should be examined closely. More lies surfaced later: his status as a college student, his employment, even a criminal record that he kept under wraps. 

Less than a month into the relationship he had too much to drink and picked a fight with me. I excused his behavior with inebriation. I didn’t want to stick around and try to work it out because that was pointless: He was drunk and would not listen to reason. He threatened to break up with me if I left. I did. What proceeded after were several texts. Some of them threatening followed by pleas to turn around and come back because he was sorry. I was very stupid. I turned around to patch things up. Warning Sign #4: Someone who drinks that often and to the point of angry inebriation is battling with their own demons and possible addiction. Stay away. You can’t help them. You are not responsible for them. You are responsible for you. Warning Sign #5: He obviously tried to intimidate me by playing on my insecurities. It didn’t work at first. Eventually I caved in. Don’t let someone intimidate or manipulate you. Ever. You are better than that and you deserve better than that.

This is an accurate depiction to how I should have reacted to that


Not long after that first spiff things went downhill very quickly. He accused me of flirting with a friend of a friend. I was chatting with said acquaintance over drinks with a group of people. He was a transplant doctor. I work with transplant patients. That subject was 90 percent of our conversation. Warning Sign #6: It was obvious that the guy I was dating was extremely insecure and he took this out on me on more than one occasion. He hated my job, accused me of bowing to the corporate gods, and often tried to talk me into skipping work to spend a day with him. I’d had the job for less than a month and he knew I worked very hard to get it. This brings me to Warning Sign #7: Never involve yourself with someone who lives their life with jealousy. This is one of the unhealthiest emotions.

From his perspective, my alleged flirtation is what ruined everything. He hated the way I dressed. He resented any male friend I had and the fact that I am still speaking with a few of the men I’ve previously dated. He didn’t want me to dance tango. He wanted me to just lay about with him all day . . . . and it was never enough. I never gave him enough of my time. I never did enough. I was never enough. Warning Sign #8: You are enough. Never let someone try to tell you otherwise. Warning Sign #9: Don’t involve yourself with someone who wants to change you. There is nothing wrong with you. No one needs to ‘fix you’ or tell you to act like a ‘proper lady’; f*ck those social conventions straight to hell!! Connect with the archetype of the wild woman. Channel that energy.

Sing and howl at the moon while you're at it - just for kicks.

Because he was always angry with me, I was constantly doing something for him to show him how much I cared for him - because I was always wrong. I was always the one who screwed up. I do not have enough words in my vocabulary to express how very wrong this is. Warning Sign #10: Stay away from angry people, especially those who want to use you as their personal verbal punching bag. You don’t deserve that kind of treatment. Never allow someone to put you down. Never allow someone to make you feel shame for who you are.

I was beginning to see the many unhealthy aspects of this poor excuse for a relationship one night when he took me to a restaurant just to be extremely confrontational, tell me how disgusted he was by me, accuse me of never showing my real self to him and a rambling of other things that I can’t remember. He didn’t stop until I threw money at him for my soup and walked out crying. I walked home. I cried the whole way. I don’t recall a time in my life when someone has ever pushed me to be so sad and simultaneously angry. I had apologized over and over again for things that I wasn’t at fault for and this was never ‘sincere’ or ‘genuine’ enough for him. Warning Sign #11: If someone can’t see your truest intentions, but people you’ve barely met can, that person has clearly painted an image of you in his/her head that is unfavorable and inaccurate. Don’t let someone tell you who you are. 

This is pretty much how the pattern works. Don't allow yourself to fall into this. 

Towards the very end, I took him on a vacation as a birthday gift. Originally, I had been looking forward to it, but dreaded it as the days passed drawing me closer to it. He made me wait for more than an hour while he finished packing. I drove because he told me not to get a rental car, he would work something else out (he didn’t work something out). I was tired when we finally arrived. He wanted to go out. I accommodated. I accommodated the entire time – and he still chose to be angry at me for the things that I didn’t do. If you always feel like you have to apologize to someone, get the hell out. Don’t put yourself through that. Warning Sign #12: When it comes to a narcissist, everything is about them. You will spend time with their friends and their family, not yours. Someone who takes more than an hour to get ready on a regular basis is not worth your time. Someone who always makes you feel badly about yourself is a bully who is lashing out due to his or her own insecurities. The insecurities of another person are not your responsibility.

I finally asked for some space. He could only honor that request for one day - just one. He sent flowers, fruit baskets and texts. My request was simple and he couldn’t honor that. He tried to persuade me. He tried to buy me. You are not for sale. You are not a piece of property.

That was a whirlwind that lasted just three months. If it seems too good to be true, it probably is. Sure, he was charming – but also a ticking time bomb and I didn’t see how bad my situation was until much later. Had I been watchful, had I been cautious and in tune with my instinctual self, I probably would have ignored him.

In the words of Bukowski, "Be on the watch." 

Since then, more things have happened that have compounded trauma on top of trauma and I’ve encountered even more people who are ill intended. One person in particular is from tango. He’s married, but they’re ‘trudging through it until their oldest graduates from high school’. I’m angry because he lied to me. He presented himself as a friend and it soon became clear that friendship was not what he had in mind. To be honest, I’m just plain fed up. Last Friday I bought myself a buffer ring. I’m really not sure if that’s the correct term; basically, it’s a fake engagement ring. So far it’s working quite well for me and will hopefully keep the bad type of man out of my life long enough for me to just be me.

I’m spending time in self-reflection and coming to terms with a few truths about myself that I didn’t care to admit: 1. I am emotionally vulnerable right now and have been for some time. 2. Genuine love cannot be turned off and a Band-Aid will not fix it. I can’t simply find a substitute and hope that the pain goes away. 3. I have no business dating and probably wasn’t quite ready when I was reunited with the Beloved. I was still healing and didn’t recognize it because I allowed myself to be caught up in the joy of him: his presence in my life, being with him; to be honest, everything about him, actually.

I sing 'Can't Touch This' in my head every time I put this on. 


If you’re still with me now, I’m impressed. I want to be clear with my intent. This is not meant to mar someone’s reputation. The purpose of this extremely long entry is to reach out to those who are vulnerable and perhaps feeling a little lost. Don’t let someone take advantage of you. Don’t let someone try to talk their way into your life. Trust yourself and perhaps even guard yourself until you feel ready to face the world again. Surround yourself with people who are uplifting and bring positive energy into your life. For any female readers I recommend Women Who Run With the Wolves by Clarissa Pinkola Estes. It has been a real eye opener for me – so much so that I’ve purchased a handful of copies for friends. I hope it helps you to reconnect with your inner strength as well. 


No comments:

Post a Comment