Thursday, December 20, 2012

I'm Dreaming


“You know that place between sleep and awake, the place where you can still remember dreaming? That’s where I’ll always love you. That’s where I’ll be waiting”  - J.M. Barrie, Peter Pan

More than once over the last few days I’ve thought I must be dreaming.  I’m breathless. I’m speechless. I can’t find the words to describe how much he means to me. Apparently I’m also without balance because I nearly keeled over  thinking I would die from joy the last time I was with him. Since then, it has become apparent to me why my then boyfriend was so pissed off when I spent time with him. I just didn’t see it then . . .  but I do now. How could I have missed it?

The surreal state I’m in continues. I am overjoyed and I recently realized I’m scared as hell. I have what can only be described as just plain ugly whenever I experience a relapse. These states leave me anxious, fearful and angry. I finally came out of the last one after nearly two years. Why so long? Because I crossed paths with some asshole and his actions managed to undo nearly three years of progressive therapy.  I wish I could just dump the memories and leave the emotions behind, but it doesn’t work that way. I have to trudge through them sometimes and I don’t want him exposed to that. Ever. I want to shield him from it.

I’m already worried that I’ll somehow manage to screw things up and then he’d be gone forever. I hesitated before I kissed him, I hesitated before I laid my soul bare before him because I’d rather have him in my life than not.  I also hesitated because I feared rejection. At least I can say I conquered the fear of the unknown.

Still, I proceed with caution. I’m sure we’ve all experienced this at some point. I’ve been wondering if I’m doing this right.  I wonder if I should call or text . . . am I coming on too strong? Am I not doing enough? Is my mascara running? Does this dress make my butt look big? For the record, I’ve never asked a male that last question because it’s cruel and unnecessary.

He is without a doubt one of the best things that has ever entered my life and if I had known several years ago that our paths would cross again, no one else on earth would have ever existed to me.  Whatever the outcome may be, I know this chapter in my life will be one of the most treasured. 

No comments:

Post a Comment